Well, the Indiegogo is over!
I am so happy that editing will be covered by this Indiegogo campaign! That is such a huge weight off my mind, and I’m humbled with the generosity shown throughout the whole thing. It’s exciting that I found new readers through this campaign, and that others returned because they’ve enjoyed what I’ve published so far.
Thank you, everyone!
Now what I’d like to do is look at the numbers, and discuss statistics for anyone else who’s thinking about running an Indiegogo.
Similar to my first campaign, the majority of funds raised came earlier, with the last week being pretty quiet. I learned from the first one that two months is far too long for a campaign, and even a month felt like a bit of a marathon. The interactions on the last few ads were much lower than at the start, and so I slowed down on posting at the end, with a couple days where I didn’t say anything. I was exhausted, and I’m sure everyone else was tired of hearing about it, too.
The majority of the funders were known to me, as family and friends.
- 8 donors were family
- 5 backers were friends and colleagues I’ve met face-to-face
- 5 were friends I’ve made online (specifically Google+)
- 1 was someone I’d not interacted with prior to the campaign
15 donations were through Indiegogo, 4 donations were made to me personally
So as you can see from the breakdown, the ability of my campaign to draw in new people who were strangers was extremely limited. Despite coming up with what I thought was a clever idea to beat Google’s algorithms, most of the donations were through my own 1-on-1 interactions with people, and not the ads. So were strangers not finding the campaign at all?
Lots of hits
I had well over 1000 views from around the world, with most coming out of the USA, the UK, and Ireland. Obviously the ads were drawing people in to at least take a look. I had 2400 Facebook views on one picture, but had no donations from it. That to me really speaks to the difficulty of marketing. 2400 views is pretty huge (for me), and to have nothing come of it was somewhat disheartening. 1-on-1 really is the king when it comes to generating interest.
But there’s another possibility, too. I sold more books during my campaign. Maybe people didn’t want to donate, but rather felt more comfortable ordering a book. I can’t be sure, but the funds raised from book sales will go toward the cover art. It’ll just take a couple months for those funds to come in.
How much did I actually make?
Almost $1000, + $320 CAD donated directly
Setting a low “primary” goal with stretch goals is definitely the way to go. Because I hit $1000, instead of setting the goal at $1800 and missing it, I saved $45. Those fees for not hitting your goal can add up on a big project, so best to set it up in smaller chunks, with your most pressing need being the main goal. The developmental editing needs to happen sooner than the art. I probably won’t be able to cover the art straight away (the A/C unit in our van just died, so we have to prioritize that), but that’s okay because the book isn’t likely to be ready until late 2016 or early 2017, anyway. I’ve got time to save up for that.
I still have to pay PayPal fees on the donations. I’m not sure what that will be, but when I send out money requests to people who buy my books, I pay 5%, so I wouldn’t be surprised if it was around there.
And then there’s the perk orders to fill:
2 mugs, 1 A Wizard’s Gambit poster, 3 A Hero’s Birth posters, 1 mousepad, and 4 A Hero’s Birth paperback pre-orders. That will be around $180-200 of the money raised.
That leaves me with ~$887 USD (assuming 5% PayPal) + $120 CAD. So I’ll still be chipping in a little bit toward editing.
But a little bit is a heckuva lot better than footing the whole bill myself! So again, thank you to everyone who donated and shared the news of my books and the campaign. I couldn’t do this without all of your awesome support. Now that this campaign is over, I’m hoping I’ll have more energy to get back up to 100% writing capacity, and get A Hero’s Birth out as soon as I can!